Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  4
Visualizzazione dei risultati da 1 a 5 su 5

Discussione: Quotes and aphorisms

Administrator L'avatar di DarkCoffee
    Post Thanks / Like

Quotes and aphorisms

I quote the one on my signature

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again: but already it was impossible to say which was which.
    G. Orwell - Animal Farm
    The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again: but already it was impossible to say which was which.

2. Thanks Rupert thanked for this post
    Likes Rupert liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    "Predictions are difficult, especially about the future"
    Yogi Berra

4. Likes Rupert liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    "I have opinions of my own, strong opinions, but I don't always agree with them"
    G
    eorge W. Bush

6. Likes Rupert liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    "All generalizations are dangerous, even this one."
    Alexandre Dumas, fils

8. Likes kaipirissima liked this post
    Moderator L'avatar di Rupert
    Post Thanks / Like
    [...] there is always a well-known solution to every human problem—neat, plausible, and wrong".

H. L. Mencken,
    Prejudices: Second Series by , Chapter 4: The Divine Afflatus, Start Page 155, Borzoi: Alfred A. Knopf, New York, 1920, p. 158.

I've seen this quotation attributed to Mark Twain, George Bernard Shaw, Umberto Eco and various other authors, some anonymous some fantastic.
    On the Net one happens to stumble upon a great number of generic quotations, which are all invariably ascribed to a number of prestigious and unquestionable moral, political, cultural… human authorities, without ever mentioning the source.
    One finds the quotation very fitting to a specific circumstance or perfect to express a precise thought about something and one tries to search the writings of said authors… and there’s nothing there.

It happened to me with this quote. It was given as from the “Pendolo di Foucault”, written by Umberto Eco. But Eco makes his statement in a generic way and in fact he quotes someone else.
    It took me a wile to track down the original. And here we are.

The moral of the story is: there is always a well-known [Internet] solution to every human problem—neat, plausible, and wrong.
    "non vitae sed scholae discimus" (Seneca, Epistulae morales ad Lucilium, 106, 12)

Tag per questa discussione

Segnalibri

Permessi di invio